The Student News Site of Masconomet Regional High School

The Masco Messenger

The Masco Messenger

The Masco Messenger

GIRLS’ WINTER TRACK FINISHES WITH UNDEFEATED SEASON

With winter sports seasons coming to a close, the athletes’ hard work is on display. That is especially true for the Girls’ Indoor Track and Field team, who came out as the undefeated champions of the NEC league. 

Head coach Scott Marcoulier has been coaching indoor track for seven years, and has been the head coach of the team for six. In his seven years of coaching, the team has come close many times but had not been undefeated until this past season. 

“Last time we won the league was 2013,” said Marcoulier. “I am not sure when the last time we were undefeated.”

Senior captains Lauren Boughner and Jenna Lindsay have both been running indoor track and field for four years and have also both played on the Masco girls’ soccer team. They both had been voted into the captain position for the 2023/24 winter season alongside seniors Sophia Doumas and Ellie Green. 

In the past, Peabody has been the team the girls compete with that has given them the biggest challenge. 

“They [Peabody] are well coached and have great athletes. That is the team I want to match up with,” said Marcoulier.

Marblehead and Beverly are also tough competitors for the team. 

“Both schools have deep programs, with lots of talented athletes in lots of different events,” said Lindsay.

Going into the winter season, Marcoulier always has the same goals for the team. 

“[My goal is to] help the girls improve and do the best they can,” said Marcoulier. “If that happens, the rest takes care of itself.” 

In track and field, there are numerous events that athletes can participate in from hurdles to sprints, throws, distance, and jumps. Although the number of events is limited indoors during the winter seasons, it does not take away from the variety to choose from. 

Marcoulier allows the athletes to choose what events they want to participate and compete in. 

“If they are happy, then so am I,” said Marcoulier.

The coaches did move two girls into high jump, and both of them qualified for States. A few other athletes had been moved between events if the coaches felt it would help the team win a meet. 

“For the most part, this was only needed once or twice because we had most teams beat,” said Marcoulier.

Lindsay felt very excited for the winter season. She was looking forward to track and being with the team again. 

“Knowing this was my last indoor season too, I really wanted to leave it all out there and end on a good note,” she said.

Lindsay has the same goal going into each track season, and that is to get a new personal record, or PR, specifically the 600m for winter track. She also wanted to have a positive season for her senior year and a positive attitude towards her races. 

“My ongoing track attitude goal is to try to see each race as an opportunity to improve, an opportunity to do my best, instead of fearing that something might go wrong,” said Lindsay.

For the team as a whole, Lindsay hoped that they could create a welcoming and supportive team environment that she has come to love. 

“I was excited to help be part of that as an upperclassman and a captain,” said Lindsay.

Boughner felt prepared as an athlete entering winter track. 

“I know I had been mentally and physically preparing with workouts and self-talk to perform the best I could for my last season,” she said. 

Being a captain, she was extremely excited to see the hard work from her teammates pay off in their events, as well as to help to lead a group of talented athletes.

Boughner’s personal goal was also to PR in her events, specifically the 300m, 55m, and to help in getting a PR in the 4x200m relay. 

“I wanted to focus on my mindset and confidence for my races, so I would be able to maximize every opportunity to PR,” said Boughner. She also wanted to continue the inclusive environment that the track and field program at Masco offers to its athletes.

Marcoulier, Lindsay and Boughner all hoped that the team would go undefeated for the 2023-24 winter track and field season. 

“I remember when we beat Peabody the first meet, and I almost couldn’t believe it,” said Boughner. “That moment I knew we were going to crush it this season.”

The idea became more and more real as the season went on and the girls continued to pull through and win the meets one after another. 

“After Peabody, our next big opponent was Marblehead. After that, it was Beverly. Beverly was our second to last meet and basically the one that would secure the title,” said Lindsay, “We had really strong performances across the board that day. We knew we had to bring it, and we did. It was really cool to see.”

The last meet of the season that would cement the team as undefeated NEC champions was against Gloucester. 

“It was a relief once we got past the first few events and I knew we had won,” said Marcoulier, “I was happy for the team.”

Lindsay was excited and ecstatic about the win and the team being the undefeated NEC champs. She believes that the title shows the hard work the team has executed throughout the season. 

“And we couldn’t have done it without the whole team,” said Lindsay.

For Boughner, it felt amazing to see the dedication the team put out come full circle. 

“I know my co-captains and I have been dreaming of this day since we were freshmen,” said Boughner, “and it felt so surreal to have an undefeated season come true.”

With the season coming to a close, Lindsay hopes to express how proud she is of her team and the hard work they exhibited throughout the season. 

“Track is not easy physically or mentally, and seeing my teammates put in the effort and persevere through challenges and tough workouts inspires me to want to do the same,” said Lindsay.

Alongside her teammates’ perseverance, Lindsay also wants to recognize the camaraderie and support the team gives to each other. 

“Seeing teammates have a good race or a bad race, and then regardless, turning around to support the next girl coming around the track, is powerful,” said Lindsay.

Boughner wants her team to remember that their hard work will pay off. 

“It can be difficult to feel like you’re not seeing results but trust the process and keep going,” said Boughner. 

Boughner believes that a positive mindset is important, she herself has worked the most on the positive growth of her own. 

“Mindset is everything in sports,” said Boughner. “You have to believe you can do anything you set your mind to and fully embrace your athletic ability.”

A lot of athletes tend to fall into the focus on their improvement vs if they won a game or not. “Having that mindset of not worrying about where you stand and just focusing on you can be very good for your mental health,” said Marcoulier. “If everyone does their best, I cannot ask for anything more.”

Track and field with its many offered events is flexible in a way that not many sports can be. 

“You can start at any grade level, and you don’t need to have experience,” said Lindsay. “It helps you get faster and more athletic for other sports, but it also is such an awesome sport on its own.”

The girls’ indoor track team works hard and makes sure that everyone is included and has a place.

“Indoor track is one of the most enjoyable seasons because of the kids we have come out for the team,” said Marcoulier.

To new athletes considering whether to join the girls winter track and field team, Lindsay and Boughner highly recommend and encourage it. 

“The track team is one of the most welcoming and supportive teams in the school,” said Lindsay.

Boughner said that track is the most welcoming and happy environment she has ever been a part of in her sports career. 

“The support girls give to each other, and even runners on other teams, is so inspiring,” said Boughner. “I am surrounded by the most kindhearted and caring people I have ever met and it has changed my life for the better.”

Lindsay feels that joining track is the best decision she made in high school and she hopes to express her thanks to her teammates. 

“Track has been such an important part of my high school experience. That’s because of the awesome people I’ve been able to meet through it and I’m super grateful,” said Lindsay.   Boughner and Lindsay want to express their immense gratitude towards their coaches, Marcoulier, Testa and Dean, as well as their teammates. 

“The team and I were so thankful to have coaches that care about each one of us,” said Boughner. “Seeing their passion while coaching us was highly motivating; they are the best.”

Lindsay agreed. 

“They’re so talented, and care so much about us as runners and as people, and do everything they can to help us succeed in both areas. They rock,” said Lindsay.

The girls indoor track and field team celebrate their season and hard work that comes with it. Many strong athletes have entered the program for the first time this past season and their grit and endless support for each other helps elevate the team to new heights and reach new goals. The coaches and captains of the team are happy and excited to see what the girls can do in the upcoming seasons and are positive about the future of the indoor track program.

Donate to The Masco Messenger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Masconomet Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Masco Messenger