The Student News Site of Masconomet Regional High School

The Masco Messenger

The Masco Messenger

The Masco Messenger

MASCO HOCKEY SENIORS SAY GOODBYE AFTER PLAYOFF RUN

Parker Wassung @parker_wassung_photography
Masco Huddling as a Team Behind Their Net Prior to Game Against Duxbury

After a successful season that saw the Masconomet Chieftains making it to the round of Elite 8, their magical playoff run came to an end after a loss to number ten seeded Duxbury Dragons. Despite this loss for Masco, the season was still a success, as they had a 13-7 record in the regular season, including big wins in the coach Bob Driscoll “Can Do” game against the Peabody-Saugus Tanners, and a victory on senior night against Gloucester, who they swept in their season series.

“Completing the season sweep against Gloucester on senior night was incredible to be a part of,” said senior Alan Weitzman.

Coupled with the team’s amazing regular season was their impressive postseason, beginning with their home win against Hopkinton, which came in front of an electric crowd in Haverhill. 

“From the 13 years I have been playing hockey, that was the most electric game I have ever played in, ” said senior Evan O’Heir. “Being down 4-1 and then coming back to win the game in overtime, 5-4, it was truly a fairytale ending.”

Coming back from behind was a theme in the playoffs for Masco, as they were able to come back in the upset over Canton as well. 

“My favorite moment this season was without a doubt knocking off the defending state champions in the round of 16,” said Anthony Cerbone. “Nobody thought we were going to win except for the boys in that locker room. Everything from the game was memorable. From the pregame warmups in the rain, to the post game win song “Hey Baby” by DJ Ötzi. Overall it was one of the greatest hockey experiences in my life and it’s a moment I’ll never forget.” 

The belief that all the Masco players had in themselves and each other is what made the season so special.

“The biggest thing that separates [this group of seniors from other groups] is that they always believed we could win every game, even if we were down by a few goals,” said head coach Andrew Boepple. “That kind of confidence and determination is contagious, and I really think it spread to the rest of the team.”

In addition to their unmatched belief in themselves and the Masco program, the passion that all of Masco’s players have for the game of hockey pushes them to give their all for every shift on the ice. 

“My love for hockey really grew when I started playing for Masco. I played club hockey my whole life and I always liked it. However, I really started to love hockey when I started playing for Masco,” said senior goaltender Chris Sacco. “It was just a different experience and it was the most enjoyable four years of my life.”

For many of these players, their passion for hockey began at a very young age and was supported by their families.

“I’ve been skating since I was around the age of three and my father grew up as a hockey player, so I think he always had it in the cards for me to be a hockey player as well,” said Weitzman. “I’d say I first fell in love with hockey when I was five years old and I was just starting to play real hockey. It was that season I figured out that I’m not bad at this and I love playing.”

Sacco comes from a family of hockey players who have helped fuel his love for the game.

“I come from a family of hockey players. My dad and uncle played hockey professionally. I have three brothers, all of whom played hockey or still play to this day, I also have numerous cousins who played too,” said Sacco. “I’ve been at a hockey rink ever since I was very young, so I would say that my family played a big part in my love for hockey.”

For Gavin Dupuis, hockey has helped to bring his entire family closer and for that he is very grateful.

“I would like to thank my parents for the countless hours they put in. Driving around a family of four hockey players is not easy, yet they always found a way,” said Dupuis. “They invested every last dollar they had to make sure that we grew up loving a sport that would bring our family closer together. Making every game they could, balancing their presence between four kids.” 

On this team, it is clear that for Masco’s players this group of players is more than a team, but a family that has built itself over the last four years.

“The best part of playing Masco hockey was not what we did on the ice, but what we did outside of the rink,” said O’Heir. “It was great to come together as a team after practices and go out to eat, whether it was at YAS Chicken, Raising Caines, Chipotle, or at someone’s house for a pasta party.”

Weitzman agrees that the bond between all of the players on the team is what makes Masco hockey special.

“I’d say that the best part of Masco hockey is the brothers that you and your teammates become on the team. Spanning back all three years, I’ve had what I’ve felt to be a separate family of 20 brothers,” said Weitzman. “We’d see each other for hours and I want to thank all of the friends that I have made along the way, it has been an honor to play with you all.”

For Dupuis, Masco has created relationships that will last a lifetime.

“The best part of playing Masco High School hockey is the bond with my teammates. These teammates will now be some of my life-long friends. Countless memories were made and there was never a dull moment.” 

Cerbone agreed.

“There was never a time where the locker room was silent before and after practices. Many stories told by senior Ben Merrill always made the locker room have a laugh, as well as the friendly banter that occurred between  Dupuis and  Weitzman,” said Cerbone. “Although the locker room was full of laughs, I learned a few things as well: 1. Buy a bottle of 3 in 1 and make sure it’s not left unattended; 2. If you are early, you are on time and if you are on time you are late; and 3, never give Ben Merrill your clear tape.”

The boys also had some words for their coaches, who have given them the opportunity to succeed both on and off the ice.

“To my teammates and coaches, I would like to thank everyone for helping me become the best hockey player and person I can be,” said Dupuis. “Being a part of this team helped me to become more independent and outgoing. My athletic growth and hockey knowledge increased significantly throughout my years in the program.”

Sacco agrees that both teammates and coaches have made playing for Masco an unforgettable experience.

“There’s not enough words to describe my gratitude for my teammates and coaches. All I can say is I am so thankful for everything they have done in making my four years incredibly special. Thanks to them I have numerous memories that I will hold onto for the rest of my life,” said Sacco. 

Donate to The Masco Messenger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Masconomet Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Masco Messenger