The Student News Site of Masconomet Regional High School

The Masco Messenger

The Masco Messenger

The Masco Messenger

GENEROSITY OF MEF CONTINUES TO MAKE AN IMPACT

The Masconomet Educational Foundation (MEF) has been helping teachers fund their original learning opportunities since 2011.

MEF is a 501C3 charitable organization run by parent volunteers who raise funds that provide students with grants for innovative learning opportunities for the middle and high school. This year’s varied learning opportunities have included field trips, participation in the state’s Teaching with Trout Program and the Rocketry Club’s participation in the American Rocketry Challenge. 

“MEF has really helped out the TARC team with our national rocketry competition. With the grant that the MEF awarded us, we were able to buy rocket parts, propellant and team shirts. Also, the funds were able to buy us our flight computers and pay for registration fees and the members of the MEF have been kind enough to witness our launches and visit our students as they were working on their vehicles. Without their support, our flight season would have been limited in scope and ambition. We are indebted to them and we laude their mission,” said world language teacher Ryan Quadros. 

MEF has also been able to help fund phase two of the Stronger Masconomet Wellness Grant, workshops with the library and foreign language classes, as well as startup costs for the Masco Messenger website. 

“The generosity of the MEF allowed us to revitalize our Media program, and to house all of our Masco news, in both print and broadcast formats, in one place. I am really looking forward to connecting with the entire Masco community through this new website,” said Media Communications teacher Michelle Siden. 

MEF provides for more Masco involvement than some may realize. Other opportunities recently funded by MEF include the Masco Theatre Company production costs, DECA state competition support, Masco school store point-of-sale system and the middle school bike repair club. In addition, they have funded workshops with NYT best-selling authors Nathan Hale and Michael Tougias, and field trips to the Boston MFA, BU Medical School, MIT Koch Institute, Harvard Art Museum, North Shore Music Theatre, and the Peabody Essex Museum. 

“I’ve actually been able to go on multiple field trips, for both psychology and fashion design, and it’s been so much fun. I think field trips are really important,” said senior Kaylie Ubaldo. 

The grant guidelines allows for each teacher to request a grant up to $1,000 per school year. If the grant is approved by the MEF board members, a check is written to the school and presented to the school committee where the funds are made available to the requestor. 

To keep everything organized and running smoothly, the board members of MEF are always dedicated to their roles. The President oversees all of MEF and is the main point of contact for all things regarding MEF. Their Treasurer manages the finances, annual tax filings, and grant fund distribution. The Clerk takes meeting minutes and assures the filings stay current with the state of MA. The Director of Grant Writing applies for grants depending on which project is being funded which involves research and writing grant submissions. The Director of Outreach keeps MEF connected with the Masco community and there are also volunteers who help with their website, social media and marketing, etc.

The Foundation’s volunteers are parents and guardians of the Masco students. 

“We want to make sure to have volunteers from each town in order to represent them all equally,” said MEF Director of Outreach Megan Richards. 

The group meets monthly for a few hours to review and discuss grant applications, fundraising, communication, and more. 

“This is a great way for the parents and guardians to stay involved and connected with their children’s education and continue to stay updated with everything happening at Masco,” said Richards. 

It is also an opportunity to get to know other parents within the community and creates a fun environment to raise money and fund new and exciting initiatives that impact the Masco students and educators. 

If teachers are seeking to request a grant, the form can be found on the MEF website. Teachers fill out the form including a description of what they are looking to fund and an estimated cost. The principal and superintendents office must sign off on the request before being submitted to the MEF committee. The MEF members will then review the request at their monthly meeting and focus on the level of uniqueness the request will provide for the students, the timeline and funds availability, and proceed to take a vote. 

The funds are raised mostly through corporate grants and this year, MEF has received a generous gift from the estate of Frederick Pardee by way of Mr. Pardee’s niece and nephew, Corey and Tim Collins, who are Masco graduates and Topsfield residents. 

The Masconomet Education Foundation is a very committed group that provides outstanding learning opportunities for not only students but also educators. They generously continue to expose Masco students to varied, unique learning experiences.

Donate to The Masco Messenger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Masconomet Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Masco Messenger