The Student News Site of Masconomet Regional High School

The Masco Messenger

The Masco Messenger

The Masco Messenger

THRIFT STORE COLLABORATION A SUSTAINABLE SUCCESS

The Environmental Club and Book Club have collaborated to host a successful thrift store for students to explore and shop in.

“Our thrift store is intended to be a service project that combats harmful consumerism and supports our community through donations. To make it happen, students need to use their skills in project management which include collaboration, communication, data collection and organization, marketing, and more,” said club advisor Laura Greeley.

All of the items were donated by members of the Masconomet community prior to the store’s setup. Students brought in unwanted jeans, shirts, sweatshirts, books, and more. Then, they were invited to return to shop for other donated items free of charge. 

However, this wasn’t just limited to those who donated items; everyone was welcome to check it out during lunch and after school. If students didn’t donate clothes or books, a donation of five dollars or more for the Community Giving Tree was suggested. 

“We ended up raising more money than last year since we switched some things up. Instead of paying five dollars to fill a bag, we only suggested people donate if they shopped; those who only took a few things still gave us big donations,” said one of the Environmental Club officers Lily Wheadon. 

With three full tables of clothes and one table filled with all genres of books, people were

excited to look around and shop at school.

“I didn’t know what to expect, but I brought in one book to donate and could choose from so many books and clothes. I ended up finding this adorable red tank top,” said senior Cammi Wa

yland.

All of the clothes and books were in great condition and people found themselves getting some excellent deals.

“I brought in one book to donate and found a brandy melville sweater, which was such a crazy deal since those are expensive,” said senior Sam Serio. 

Not only was this thrift store a unique shopping experience, it was also meaningful to those who created it.

“We really just want to be able to give to the community. All the clothes and books leftover will

be donated, so nothing goes to waste,” said Environmental Club Officer Gabby Rusha.

All the items left will be donated to the Community Giving Tree. This was one of the many benefits of the thrift store.    

It was a fun way to get rid of old clothes and even get some new ones. People loved this event and the inspiring donations given.  

“We were pleased with the turnout and hope to host another event in the spring,” said Greeley.  

The spring event to come will surely be another exciting and unique experience created by the Environmental club.

Donate to The Masco Messenger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Masconomet Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Masco Messenger