The Student News Site of Masconomet Regional High School

The Masco Messenger

The Masco Messenger

The Masco Messenger

BOYS’ HOCKEY TEAM DEFEATS HOPKINTON, MOVES ON TO SWEET 16

The Masco’s boys’ hockey team came back from down two goals twice, defeating the Hopkinton Hillers to win their first round game in the MIAA State Tournament.

This group has a special quality in that they believe they can win regardless of the score. It’s a confidence we’ve had to build over the course of the season, but we’ve demonstrated before that we can overcome being down by a few goals if we stick to the game plan and don’t panic.

— Coach Andrew Boepple

Early in the first period, Masco got off to a roaring start, with Alan Weitzman scoring just 30 seconds into the game. Masco was able to control the pace of play in the opening minutes of the first, getting many shots and opportunities in the Hillers’ zone. 

But Masco would allow four unanswered goals and midway through the second period, the score was 4-1, Hillers. 

Masco however, began to regain momentum as Masco Captain Brady Forde fired a shot from the blue line past Hillers’ goaltender, Steven Jackson, to make it 4-2.

Masco’s overwhelming pressure on the Hillers’ defense was evident in their 14 shots during the second period, but Masco remained down by two goals entering the third period with only one goal to show in the period.

Despite the two goal disadvantage and a five on three penalty that still needed to be killed, the second year Masconomet Head coach Andrew Boepple had confidence in his team’s ability to come back. 

“This group has a special quality in that they believe they can win regardless of the score,” said Boepple. “It’s a confidence we’ve had to build over the course of the season, but we’ve demonstrated before that we can overcome being down by a few goals if we stick to the game plan and don’t panic.”

In the third, Masco was able to kill off the five on three penalty. This appeared to be a real turning point in the game. Immediately following the penalty kill, Masco went on the attack scoring 2 unanswered goals in the third. Forde scored his second of the game and sophomore standout Miles Mireault, who had 6 goals during the season, scored off of a terrific pass by junior John Miga.

“Once we scored to get within one goal, it just felt like a matter of time before we tied the game,” said Boepple.   

In the third period, Captain goaltender Chris Sacco came up with many clutch saves, saving 14 shots in the period alone. 

In overtime, Masco maintained their momentum, showing great puck control which allowed for grade A scoring opportunities.

Finally, with 3:51 remaining in overtime, senior Captain Anthony Cerbone blocked a Hopkinton shot, allowing Weitzman to take the puck on a breakaway.

“Skating down the ice with the puck on my stick in overtime, the only thing on my mind was that this game is win or go home,” said Weitzman. “By the time I realized I was alone everything slowed down and I knew I had to put the puck in the net.”

Weitzman’s shot slipped through the goaltener’s pads winning the game for the Chieftains. 

“Winning a game like that where we were down three early and there was a huge chance we could have lost was a great moral boost,” said Weitzman. “It showed us that we really can beat anyone if we play the right way.”

Moving forward in the playoffs, Weitzman and the rest of the team have one goal.

“We all have one thing on our minds and it’s the TD Garden. We will give it everything we have to get there.”

The TD Garden is the host site of the State Championship Final taking place on March 17. 

As for the Chieftains, they now advance to the Sweet 16, where they will play Canton Saturday, March 2nd at 2:30 pm at the Zapustas Arena in Randolph Massachusetts.

Donate to The Masco Messenger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Masconomet Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Masco Messenger